Southern Lights - Pt 3, No 1, 2005
1. Find the meanings of these words from the story.
fascinate - Fascinate is to attract and delight. ✔
karakia - A Karakia is a prayer. ✔
seize - Seize is to grasp suddenly and forcibly. ✔
2. Find out 3 pieces of information about the Southern Lights - you might find some information and images on the internet.
1. Southern lights is another name for Aurora Australis.
2. Southern Lights are also Earth Sciences.
3. Southern Lights are also Physical Geography. ✔
3. Answer these comprehension questions to show your understanding of the text.
a) What lets you know in the story that the story is told by the Maori? Because in the Story they had Maori words.✔
b) Where do you think the men were when they saw the large islands of ice in the south? I think the men were near the snow.✔c) Why did the people burn the waka? Because the 70 chiefs spirits went into heaven. ✔